UK - Mistresses  

Go Back   UK - Mistresses > BDSM Discussions > Discussions of Interest

Old 13-06-2010, 16:13   #1
subtle

subtle has a spectacular aura aboutsubtle has a spectacular aura about
Default The tale's the thing

Really a question for those who like to see the same PD / sub / client over a long period of time: is a sense of narrative important to you? Do you like to see your sessioning as a kind of progress or development, or are you happier if things stay more or less the same?

I guess the danger with stories is that they can lead inexorably to endings, but equally there may be plenty of twists and turns along the way. Do any PDs consciously create a sense of narrative with long-term clients, or do you think it's something that emerges more organically?
Old 13-06-2010, 16:47   #2
Lisal

We tend to do the same things now. Having been with her for such a long time we've experimented with/tried a number of things and we are at the stage where we both enjoy the things that we enjoy.

Ours is very D/s based so some of the words she uses to underline this do develop and there are fantasy story lines which she enhances from time to time (especially when she gets a reaction!!!)

Old 13-06-2010, 17:11   #3
Entropy Tango

Entropy Tango will become famous soon enough
Default Cat O' 1001 Tales

Wow. Great idea for a post.

I guess it would depend on what sense you’re using the term narrative.

If you’re sticking to a very rigid definition of it then maybe it’s only relevant to people who are into role-play... maybe with a common, underlying theme... and then each different session could become like a different chapter from the same novel. Yeah it might end... but those same characters can be spun off into a sequel :-)

On the other hand, the concept of "journey" and it’s resemblance to narrative as a progression of elements in a session from a specific (novice?) starting point is also interesting. Now I personally link BDSM to pain play... so my views on narrative application to that is really the only thing I can personally, legitimately put down on this thread... but it seems to me that although I personally like the idea of a constant building up of elements (and in some ways this is actually what I’m getting... and not just in the pain thing... I was wearing a bloody maids uniform in the last session for goodness sake... now there’s a narrative twist I didn’t expect a year ago) I can see that a constant narrative build through a series of sessions is something that will have to be done very slowly. I guess there are two ways this could be applied to pain... and please correct me if I’m wrong because I almost certainly am as I haven’t been doing this stuff for very long.

1. A sense of increased... um... ferocity at various activities and the body’s eventual resilience to things could be considered an important narrative hook (and I consider myself a lightweight in some ways but I am always going to go back to try to put that right).

2. The other thing a domme might do is to vary the method of pain delivery I guess. Although this would presumably also have to be done very slowly because new equipment is expensive and you don’t want to be continually having to buy new, different equipment because your sub thinks s/he has seen it/done it all is my guess. Maybe customers like me in a professional relationship are a bonus in that kind of situation because I have a head like a sieve and so after a year or so I might forget I’ve done half the stuff and then it all seems new and fresh to me.

Well that would be my take on it anyway.

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan, a stately pleasure-dome decree... and then along Alana came and put me o’er her knee!
www.nuts4r2.blogspot.com
Entropy Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 20:33   #4
folly

folly is on a distinguished road

This is a really interesting one. Realistically, there will be few dominants in any sphere of BDSM capable of acting out a long-term (several years) role-play. A good and sorted dominant will, I'd have thought, be sufficiently confident to be themselves through their own vicissitudes, so that the sub doesn't see too much that is different. Or the sub will be brought into the knowledge, depending on the degree of familiarity, trust and confidence, between them.

Constructing a narrative is easy for me in terms of my introduction to BDSM, and my finding a way after that initial set of encounters. I have my own set of - let's call them moments - within my current play relationship, but there's no linear narrative there, as such. It's more about the moment, but within a framework that is joyfully painful, hopefully always respectful, and certainly in awe.

Narratives tend to be linear. Kink life is much more about the here and now.
Old 13-06-2010, 21:12   #5
reefknot

Quote:
Originally Posted by folly View Post
Narratives tend to be linear. Kink life is much more about the here and now.
I can go with this, my BDSM tale has been an evolving one, one where something is tried if it works it been expanded on if it did not then its either been put down to experience or tried in a different way.

I would hate to session to a script and I think Mistress is the same
Old 14-06-2010, 07:05   #6
Lisal

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefknot View Post

I would hate to session to a script and I think Mistress is the same
Agreed

But I was more thinking of recurring themes or something in one session building on something that had happened in a previous session etc etc.

As has been said it's also about what the narrative is. If it's about an ongoing D/s relationship where roles/play evolve and are carried on from session to session than that's what we do and have done. If it's about the BDSM journey then probably no - there has been some exploration but I wouldn't see what we do in those terms

Last edited by Lisal; 14-06-2010 at 12:39.