UK - Mistresses  

Go Back   UK - Mistresses > The Rest > Computer Security, Privacy and Anonymity

Old 03-08-2011, 13:42   #1
ex nihilo

ex nihilo is on a distinguished road
Default Game changer?

How will GooglePlus, the new social networking product fare? At the moment access to the system is by invitation only. Worth keeping a watch as to how it develops.

The core system is based on the concept of “circles” and allows friends, family, colleagues and business contacts to be placed in different circles to which you share different content. This is just like in real life, and lays down challenges to both Facebook and Linkedin.

GooglePlus has also placed privacy at the heart of the system, unlike Facebook which bolted on privacy as an afterthought.
Old 05-08-2011, 17:59   #2
Combat_Butler

Combat_Butler is on a distinguished road

I must admit I like the sound of it but Google and privacy is like mixing monkeys with bananas, Google is greedy for private information.
Combat_Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:22   #3
numquata

numquata is on a distinguished road

I am a fan of Google apps: I use the Chrome browser, have a gmail account, use some of their cloud services, and use Google diary. All integrate very well with my Android phone – in fact one of the few good things about smartphones but that’s another question altogether. I am however very conscious of the privacy issues surrounding Google. They have my browsing history and I guess they know where I am to a few metres 24*7 and that’s probably the tip of the iceberg.

The wider debate is around how much privacy one is prepared to sacrifice for the sake of convenience, not just with social networking but with a lot of other stuff around online applications. This isn’t confined to Google either. Your ISP is privy to most of your life and that’s before you start on GCHQ, the CIA, the NSA and who knows who else. In my case, my personal circumstances allow to me to be pretty relaxed about this, though I can understand why many others would get exercised over the issue. Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get you. I’ll draw the line at Google + though. Not because of the privacy issues, just because social networking isn’t me.
numquata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:39   #4
bgx

bgx will become famous soon enough

I joined Facebook simply because my cousin who is resident in Australia loaded up her new baby's pictures on there.

I had to join to view them. Then I did a search for my surname and came accross a few hundred people with my name that I didn't have on the family tree.

So a few e mails later and more names to be added. Now if you had had that in social groups which you join by invitation rather than being open, would I have been able to contact people, explain who I was and get their permission to include them on the family tree?

I can see how it would work but I think I'll stick to being open.

MS BGX: Mistress Snakebite's operating system for BGX

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF THE GEORDIE NATION

NO POT POURRI !
bgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 18:08   #5
kinkfetish

kinkfetish is on a distinguished road

Sorry but i don't trust my privacy with google
kinkfetish is offline   Reply With Quote