UK - Mistresses  

Go Back   UK - Mistresses > The Rest > Computer Security, Privacy and Anonymity

Old 15-05-2012, 19:34   #1
folly

folly is on a distinguished road
Default Google Drive

Sorry for a lazy enquiry - I'm really not going to get chance to check this for myself in the next... month, at least.

My employer will be adding Google Drive to their portfolio of Cloud-type applications. Someone casually commented to me today that the Ts and Cs seem to open up the contents of the drive to inspection. (I'm sure this applies elsewhere too.)

Anyone any thoughts or experience? I currently use another way of storing stuff remotely, so would be grateful for input.

Thanks!
Old 15-05-2012, 20:49   #2
electrocbtslave

electrocbtslave is on a distinguished road

The general consensus seems to be to stick with Skydrive or Dropbox until Googles Loyyers have another go at the Ts and Cs

The offending paragraphs are in the General Ts&Cs

"When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide licence to use,store,reproduce,modify,create derivative works,(.....), communicate publish,publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content"

"The rights you grant in this licence are for the limited purpose of operating,promoting and improving our Services and to develop new ones"

"This licence continues even if you stop using our Services"

Google are saying that these general Ts&Cs were intended only for services like email and will be re-written at some non-defined stage.

They are probably too wide to be enforced but unless you have a fat wallet and a fondness for lawyers best avoid
electrocbtslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 17:49   #3
folly

folly is on a distinguished road

Thanks, ecbt, that's really helpful.
Old 19-05-2012, 12:58   #4
ouchie

ouchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrocbtslave View Post
The general consensus seems to be to stick with Skydrive or Dropbox until Googles Loyyers have another go at the Ts and Cs

The offending paragraphs are in the General Ts&Cs

"When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide licence to use,store,reproduce,modify,create derivative works,(.....), communicate publish,publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content"

"The rights you grant in this licence are for the limited purpose of operating,promoting and improving our Services and to develop new ones"

"This licence continues even if you stop using our Services"

Google are saying that these general Ts&Cs were intended only for services like email and will be re-written at some non-defined stage.

They are probably too wide to be enforced but unless you have a fat wallet and a fondness for lawyers best avoid
OK I might be a simple soul and can misunderstand everything but don't these paragraphs translate into everyday English as "... we have piss poor security procedures ...."
ouchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 09:34   #5
electrocbtslave

electrocbtslave is on a distinguished road

Don't know enough about computing and still tend to store things on shelves but from a libertarian perspective its an astonishing contract

This type of storage is essentially like putting a suitcase in a left luggage locker

.......but suppose the locker owners said

*We can open the locker anytime we want and wear your clothes,give them to other people to wear ,use them at work,lend them to our mates etc

*We can do this for a "limited" number of purposes which we (at our sole discretion) will decide

* Even after you've taken your suitcase back we can come round to your house and borrow its contents anytime we feel like it

......then people might be a bit reluctant to use this facility
electrocbtslave is offline   Reply With Quote