UK - Mistresses  

Go Back   UK - Mistresses > The Rest > The Oubliette

Old 01-12-2023, 18:14   #21
ex nihilo

ex nihilo is on a distinguished road
Default Not for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutty Rimmer View Post
I can imagine there is little room for any more mirth in your life, so best keep avoiding it. You don’t want those sides splitting at an inconvenient moment.

Kind Regards,
Rimmer.
I don’t have the time between watching Fellini, Bergman, Scorsese, JLG and other such giants of World Cinema, to watch something of the nature you describe.

Got nothing against anyone enjoying Spinal Tap, if that’s what they like. I just find movies of that ilk, a bit low level…
Old 01-12-2023, 18:34   #22
Bjorn Brimble
Banned

Bjorn Brimble can only hope to improve
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex nihilo View Post
I swerved it first time round, so won't have any problems swerving it again.

Some say , it has a cult following. I guess you have to be a bit of a cult to appreciate it ?

Funny how I write my n's....
Well said Ex. I couldn’t agree more
Bjorn Brimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 18:36   #23
Bjorn Brimble
Banned

Quote:
I don’t have the time between watching Fellini, Bergman, Scorsese, JLG and other such giants of World Cinema, to watch something of the nature you describe.
Great taste Ex.
Old 04-12-2023, 10:17   #24
Bjorn Brimble
Banned

Countries or locations you’ve visited or plan to visit after seeing in a movie or reading about in a book.

I’ll go first.

The Camino de Santiago in northern Spain after watching the 2010 movie “The Way”.

The centuries old pilgrimage which leads to the shrine of the apostle James in the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia in northwestern Spain. Definitely going to take that on someday.

Takes about a month to complete.

Exhausting on the body but great for the mind and spirit.

Many still follow its routes as a form of spiritual path or retreat for their spiritual growth.

And think of all the great grub and camaraderie with your fellow pilgrims along the way.

As Pope Benedict XVI said, "It is a way sown with so many demonstrations of fervour, repentance, hospitality, art and culture which speak to us eloquently of the spiritual roots of the Old Continent."

A great book on Spain is As I Walked Out One Summer Morning by Laurie Lee too.

Epic stuff.

That guy could write like an angel.
Old 04-12-2023, 10:48   #25
Slutty Rimmer

Slutty Rimmer has a spectacular aura aboutSlutty Rimmer has a spectacular aura about
Default Green heart, black eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Brimble View Post
Countries or locations you’ve visited or plan to visit after seeing in a movie or reading about in a book.

I’ll go first.

The Camino de Santiago in northern Spain after watching the 2010 movie “The Way”.

The centuries old pilgrimage which leads to the shrine of the apostle James in the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia in northwestern Spain. Definitely going to take that on someday.

Many still follow its routes as a form of spiritual path or retreat for their spiritual growth.

And think of all the great grub and camaraderie with your fellow pilgrims along the way.

As Pope Benedict XVI said, "It is a way sown with so many demonstrations of fervour, repentance, hospitality, art and culture which speak to us eloquently of the spiritual roots of the Old Continent."

Epic stuff.

Read quite a bit of Irish literature and humour decades ago and have always since had the desire to visit the Emerald Isle, but just never found the time. Too many other places further afield to see first.

Although from what we see in the news it is now more like the Black Isle than the Emerald Isle since it has been beset with racial tensions and uncontrolled immigration and violence and poverty stricken drug abuse and social decay etc.

Could be disappointing and not worth the coin so might well leave it off the list, and with Sinead and Shaney gone the angels have in any case deserted the old country. It just can’t be the same without those two utter champs. They’ll always be in our hearts of course but like you say it is still too poignant and raw. Maybe in a few years time.

Stick with the Med for short breaks; great food, great weather, great culture (what’s still over there), great people, great wine, great ambience, poor health n safety.

Kind Regards,
Rimmer.

“You [Rimmer] are truly a master amongst masters...” Ex Nihilo, UK-M.

“Freedom only to speak inoffensivley is not worth having.”

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/...e-judgment.pdf

“If a man can be a woman, there's no such thing as a woman.”

“LGBTQIA2S+ ? Everything after the B is either fake, fashion, or illness.”
Slutty Rimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:52   #26
ex nihilo

ex nihilo is on a distinguished road
Default So many...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Brimble View Post

I’ll go first.

Epic stuff.

Totally agree on The Camino de Santiago.

The Way was a brilliant movie. Loved that fountain that served wine and all that Northern Spain rustic food that Jos introduced us to.

The Cathedral at the end of the trip was awesome.

I would love to do it but a month is a long time and I would worry about how to keep my iPad and iPhone charged, doing my laundry and keeping everything safe from theft. You'd definitely need to bond with trustworthy fellow travellers and look out for each other. A preconception that is not on all fours with the Camino free spirit. But I guess this type of finding internal freedom and overcoming control freakishness is what the Camino is about.

Would probably have been more doable before the world changed and these things didn't matter. Imagine no signal, zero battery life or no Apple wallet to pay your hostel bill. My rucksack would be full of Anti Gravity Micro Starts, just in case.

Would also love to do a Ewan and Charly, Long Way Round or Long Way Down but again time and logistical support is of the essence.

And Hydra. No cars. Brilliant. With a muse like Marianne.

Been to Switzerland and Portugal this year for hols.

Love Spain and Portugal...
Old 04-12-2023, 12:06   #27
Bjorn Brimble
Banned

Quote:
The Way was a brilliant movie. Loved that fountain that served wine and all that Northern Spain rustic food that Jos introduced us to.

I would love to do it but a month is a long time and I would worry about how to keep my iPad and iPhone charged, doing my laundry and keeping everything safe from theft. You'd definitely need to bond with trustworthy fellow travellers and look out for each other. A preconception that is not on all fours with the Camino free spirit. But I guess this type of finding internal freedom and overcoming control freakishness is what the Camino is about.
Aye. Joost sure loved his tucker. Did the Camino to lose weight then learned to accept himself as a larger man and not worry about it I guess.

Digital minimalism. That might appeal to some. Man lived happily enough without iPads for long enough. But then there’s practicalities like checking emails, what if someone back home takes ill etc.

I think the whole point is you come back a changed person in some way.

Yep great movie
Old 04-12-2023, 19:29   #28
Lisal

Lisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to behold

Narnia…

More seriously.

Hanging Rock. Always found that film atmospheric and mysterious so be interesting to actually go there

Big fan of LotR so that part of New Zealand where it was shot. Matamata, Wellington etc
Old 04-12-2023, 19:36   #29
Slutty Rimmer

Slutty Rimmer has a spectacular aura aboutSlutty Rimmer has a spectacular aura about
Default There already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisal View Post
Narnia…

More seriously.
Would that be due to the enclosed darkness of the wardrobe, smothered in furs, whilst being transported to a fantasy land ruled by a gorgeous stern whip wielding White Witch ?

Yeah, good shout.

Kind Regards,
Rimmer.

“You [Rimmer] are truly a master amongst masters...” Ex Nihilo, UK-M.

“Freedom only to speak inoffensivley is not worth having.”

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/...e-judgment.pdf

“If a man can be a woman, there's no such thing as a woman.”

“LGBTQIA2S+ ? Everything after the B is either fake, fashion, or illness.”
Slutty Rimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 07:21   #30
Lisal

Lisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to beholdLisal is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutty Rimmer View Post
Would that be due to the enclosed darkness of the wardrobe, smothered in furs, whilst being transported to a fantasy land ruled by a gorgeous stern whip wielding White Witch ?

Yeah, good shout.

Kind Regards,
Rimmer.
It would indeed