UK - Mistresses  

Go Back   UK - Mistresses > BDSM Discussions > Medical advice and Information Exchange

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-11-2016, 17:51   #1
Des

Des is on a distinguished road
Default Poppers in Amsterdam.

I was in Amsterdam last week and visited a sex shop (mainly gay) in Nieuwendijk Centrum. I had visited there before about a year ago when I bought a bottle of what appeared to be isopentyl nitrite, which I think was probably genuine. The small shop is at 22, just north of Voorburgwal. Isopentyl is one of the poppers that got banned in Britain, leaving only the isopropyl nitrite variant to be left on sale here, and that only lasts a few sniffs, as opposed to the hundreds you used to get with old fashioned poppers (isobutyl nitrite being the one I used to get regularly in the old days).

Anyway this time one of the products they had on sale was called "Amyl" and it purports to contain amyl nitrite, which I think was the very first of the popular poppers (and is now also banned in the UK). It was made in Canada, which seems to be the remaining source these days for all popper variants. The guy in the shop appeared genuine but not too knowledgeable, other than saying that the Amyl was the strongest of all the poppers he had (all the rest seemed to be isopropyl nitrite under various different names).

I bought 2 bottles of the Amyl + one of the isopropyl variants for 25 Euro total. Theses were 24ml bottles, so I think more than twice as big as the norm (though the smaller bottles are also available - but possibly not for Amyl). So far I have only tried the isopropyl, and it appears to be the normal stuff. I use these sparingly so intend to try the Amyl over the next few weeks. One of the main purposes of the exercise is to see how long these last - will I get almost a bottleful of hits as in the old days, or a couple of ml at most, like we get in the UK now? I will report back on my findings, mindful that this forum is closing at the end of the year.

Incidentally, when I asked about the legality of buying poppers in Amsterdam I got responses varying from "poppers are illegal here" to everything is legal in Amsterdam". I guess it's like their approach to soft drugs. Illegal, but tolerated.
Des is offline   Reply With Quote